Girls’ Leg Goes Black And Withered After A Snake Bite
A young girl’s leg has shriveled and turned completely black after being bitten by a snake, whose venom caused severe necrosis. The premature death of the cells caused the leg tissue to die, leaving her leg withered and rotten.
The 13-year-old girl, was treated by remedies from the indigenous culture she was from, according to a photo posted on Instagram by the username ‘juventudmedica’.
A month later she was brought to Carcaras, Venezuela, for further medical treatment. Dr. Arun Ghosh, a private GP in Liverpool told MailOnline she will need to have her leg amputated, but is still likely to die from the venom.
“‘Snake venom is very complicated and depends on the species of snake.But the picture shows clearly severe tissue necrosis that will need amputation, though she still may die from this due to the nature of the poison. The whole lower leg is black, it’s spreading up. Looking at the rest of her body she’s showing signs of muscle wastage from the poison. Her other leg is thin. It’s likely she will still die.”
The necrosis led to rhabdomyolysis, a condition in which muscle tissue begins to die throughout the body. Being treated with local remedies probably meant she was given antibiotics, but not treatment to adequately control poisoning from the snake venom, which contains agents that paralyze the nerves and cause the blood to clot.
“This girl has had classic rural treatment which is often only able to treat local infection secondary to the bite (at best say equal to antibiotics). But she is unlikely to have received anti-venom treatment (which entails giving treatment to stop blood clotting) to keep her blood flowing through her body.”